Getting anxious about anything in particular is a natural emotion that we all feel at some point. In fact, even if you ask Laval psychologists, it is extremely normal to feel anxious especially when we face situations that are of utmost importance, such as speaking in public, attending a job interview, or during big events such as a wedding.
However, when your anxiety becomes chronic and starts to interfere with your daily activities and your life in general, then you might be suffering from a disorder. It may not always be easy to determine, but there are signs that may indicate whether you are simply stressed or already have an anxiety disorder.
- You have trouble sleeping : Some people suffer from insomnia or find it difficult to sleep at night due to physical conditions. But, for some, the difficulty in sleeping or staying asleep may have more serious reasons and emotional roots. If it happens regularly for no particular reason, it can be a sign of anxiety disorder.
- You worry too much : It is normal to be worried about things that are important to you, but if you have been constantly worrying without even knowing the cause, it can be another sign. Worrying way too much is not healthy, especially if it already affects your daily routine and it leaves you fatigued at the end of the day.
- You have irrational fears : Having overwhelming and unexplained fear of certain things or situations can also be a sign of an anxiety disorder, especially if the fear has become disruptive and way out of proportion to the actual risk involved. This disorder is also known as phobia.
- You always experience muscle tension or stiffness : Clenching your fists, gritting your jaw, or flexing your muscles persistently when you encounter certain things, people, or situations, is another symptom that usually accompanies an anxiety disorder.
- You are prone to negative thinking : People who suffer from anxiety disorders usually have the tendency to anticipate that everything will have a negative outcome. It does not matter whether it is something personal or professional, the attitude and point of view are almost always negative.
- You experience chronic indigestion : Anxiety is a condition of the mind, but it can also manifest in the body through physical symptoms such as persistent digestive problems.That is because the gut is also very sensitive to psychological stress.
- You have an obsession with perfection : We all strive to do great in all that we do, but if you constantly worry about making mistakes or falling short of standards, that is another sign of an anxiety disorder. In addition to being obsessed with perfection, you may also get easily upset when you feel that you did something average or ordinary.
- You flashback to a particular event : If you find yourself constantly thinking about a bad memory or a traumatic event, that it already affects how you function on a daily basis, then you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder.
- You feel extremely self-conscious : Another sign of anxiety disorder is if you feel uneasy during gatherings or social events because you feel that all eyes are on you. The feeling of uneasiness and restlessness can also be accompanied by blushing, trembling, nausea, sweating, and difficulty talking, making it hard to socialize and meet new people.
- You experience panic attacks : Although not everyone who experiences panic attacks has an anxiety disorder, it can also be a sign. It can be a sudden feeling of fear and helplessness, which can be terrifying most of the time.
- You find it hard to focus : This is something that can really affect your personal and professional life, especially if you cannot finish tasks or can no longer focus on your job that it kills your productivity.
If you experience any of these signs on a regular basis, talk to a psychologist as soon as possible. Timely treatment can prevent any disorder from getting worse and bring the symptoms under control.