When it comes to increasing your productivity, it’s important that you know exactly what you can do to improve. It will not only help you in your professional life but in your personal life as well. You can do more in less time, ensuring that you have time at the end of the day for you. With these seven tips, you can be sure to increase your productivity throughout all aspects of your life.
1. Create To-Do Lists. The only way to truly improve your productivity is to know what it is that you have to do for the day. It can be easy to take your time on tasks if you think that’s the only thing on your plate to do for the day. Start each day by creating a list of things that you need to accomplish for the day. Once you have a list in place, you may be surprised by all that you get done.
2. Stay Organized. You must stay organized throughout the day. Take the time to organize your desk and even your home so you know where everything is. You will never increase your productivity if you spend half the time looking around for the tools you need to actually perform the tasks.
3. Use Technology. Technology is out there for a reason – to be used. Various mobile apps can be downloaded to your smartphone or tablet to help you in one way or another. Tasks can be mobilized so they will send you reminders. There are also apps that can be programmed to do one thing after you have already done another. This can eliminate a lot of the redundancies that you do throughout the day.
4. Read all Directions. Almost everything has directions. Whether it’s a task that you’ve been asked to do or directions to assemble something, read the directions. This will ensure you know what you need to do so you do it right the first time. If you are always going back and fixing everything, you will never become more productive.
5. Listen to What’s Being Said. You may be surprised by how much you absorb if you listen to what’s being said to you and around you. Instead of drawing during the meeting and multi-tasking when someone’s talking to you, take the time to listen to what’s being said. You are likely being given all the information you need. If you have to stop during a task later on to get clarification or to find out what’s being done about something that has already been relayed to you, it’s going to slow you down and cause other things on your to-do list to get pushed back until tomorrow or even the next day.
6. Review Your Lists. You’ve made a to-do list but you need to review it throughout the day. It’s easy to forget about one or two things on your list as you get going with different projects. Keep the list updated – cross things off when you’ve done things and add to the list when you’ve been given more to do.
7. Learn to Delegate. No one said that you can’t delegate tasks in order to become more productive. This works with business and at home. Your co-workers may be doing something similar to what you are doing, so see if they can’t do something for you. There may be employees that have too much time on their hands – so keep them busy. Even at home, you may be able to delegate some of the chores to the kids.
By following seven basic tips, you can increase your productivity and get more accomplished throughout each day.
About the Author: Diane manages her career and family by staying well organized. She stays productive at work and at home and enjoys designing wedding invitations for Page Stationery in her spare time.