The hair transplant industry has surpassed a whopping 6.8 million in India in the year 2018. The consistent increase in the hair transplantation industry can be attributed to the rise in appearance-conscious individuals and the successful hair transplant results in hair transplant procedures provide. Statistics suggest that an estimated 30 million women and almost 50 million men are globally affected by hair loss. Choosing the right hair transplant clinic that delivers good hair transplant results is only half the battle won. Great post-operative care for hair transplantation procedures does play a major role in the final hair transplant results or outcomes expected.
Here are 7 post-operative care measures that will help you achieve optimum hair transplant results
- Refrain from alcohol consumption – Alcohol or drugs need to be completely refrained in your post-operative care. Any hair transplant clinic will mention this in their post-operative care leaflet too. The main reasons are that alcohol can result in blood thinning and can cause unexpected bleeding. Another reason is that if you are too inebriated you may injure yourself or cause damage to the grafted area which needs to be taken care of.
- Stick to prescription medications – The doctor will prescribe you a host of medications that will help you heal faster, avoid infections. This medication list includes drugs that prevent swelling, provide pain relief. These medications must not be mixed with alcohol under any conditions as it may result in dangerous consequences.
- Avoid these medications – People who are dependent on arthritis medications or ibuprofen, aspirin or any type of vitamin medications need to temporarily stop these medications and they may result in blood thinning and can result in bleeding or other complications. These medications are to be resumed only upon confirmation by the doctor. Please visit your hair transplant clinic for better clarity about your medications.
- Avoid exercise or hard work – In order to attain the best hair transplant results, avoid any type of hard work or exercise or any activity that may cause excessive sweating. Since during the initial days there are limitations on hair wash, sweating will result in itchiness and compromised hygiene. The intention is to keep the hair & scalp as healthy and well as possible.
- Swelling, itching, and scars – Post the initial surgery, mild swelling can be expected. In the case of FUT, linear scars will arise, and in the case of FUE, dot-like scars can be expected. These scars can May you feel itchy and it must be avoided at all costs. Avoid rash itching of the scalp as it may damage the grafted area. Refrain from itching to achieve the best hair transplant results. Visit your clinic if you observe severe swelling or scars that have redness more than expected.
- Pain management – Generally pain medications are given during the initial days if required. The doctor may prescribe a pain reliever if the patient continues to feel excessive pain. In general, the pain is bearable and may not always require a pain killer. In the case of excessive pain persists, the doctor may alter the dosage of the pain killer suggested/. If you face excessive, unexpected levels of pain visit your hair transplant clinic and inform the doctor immediately.
- Hair wash measures
For the initial 24 hours, the graft should not be touched or agitated. Post 24 hours, the patients can wash their hair with extreme care using a mild shampoo and gentle rubbing. Hair wash procedures need to be done very carefully post-surgery for the first 5 days to get the best hair transplant results.