Drug addiction has become a menace not only in our society but across the world. And, most shockingly it’s been increasing at an alarming rate. But this menace must be curbed at once and for this drug addiction treatment is one of the most reliable and convenient options. In this article, we would like to discuss the most appropriate and effective approach for treating drug addiction and its top most effective treatment options available.
But, before going into the depth of the topic, let us first try to know and understand how exactly is drug addiction defined.
What is Drug Addiction?
Drug addiction can be defined as a chronic form of ailment in which an addict seeks and find pleasures in consuming drugs which are otherwise should be taken only as a prescription or to be avoided completely at any cost. An addict usually consumes them in high doses despite being aware of its harmful and sometimes dreadful consequences. Drug consumption can lead to severe brain and physiological damages and can sometimes lead to even death of the patient. One can find more info regarding the whole drug addiction matter at Addiction Rehab Toronto.
However, various drug rehab centers are available to help individuals get rid of their drug addiction. While treating and dealing with an established drug addict, care provider must very carefully and cautiously design the treatment approach and the mode of treatment. These should be decided keeping in mind the following things:
A. Stage and phase of addiction level
B. Type and mode of drug consumption.
C. Present physical and mental health/condition/stability of the addict.
D. Socio-cultural-educational background and circumstances of the drug addict.
Having said this, treating drug addiction is not an easy task and can be quite challenging at times. However, with subtle and well-structured and defined treatment approach, it is possible. An effective drug addiction treatment must be able to achieve the following goals:
- Make the individual stop using / consuming drugs completely.
- Must be able to keep the individual drug free even after the rehab and the treatment.
- Must make the individual be able to contribute in a constructive and in a positive way towards the family, work and social life.
Treatment options: The top and effective treatment options for drug addiction include:
- In patient treatment options: These treatments are usually carried within the walls of rehab centers. It includes treating the patient with systemic methods, cognitive behavioural therapy, detoxification, medications, continuous monitoring of the patients for diseases like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, etc., monitoring them during the drug withdrawal phase, and counselling regarding being cautious about relapse and staying positive towards life, professional rehab options, etc.
- Outpatient treatment options also include the above options but they are mostly carried out in an individual basis and it is not always required for the patients to stay in a rehab centers. This treatment often requires continuous and positive support from family members, friends and community and includes motivational therapy, counselling and interview.
To conclude, care providers must keep it in mind that no single drug addiction treatment or approach work for the patients, but usually a combination of all the components is required to make and stay a drug addict a drug free individual.