Pipe beveling machines save time and materials by slicing tubes and other round plumbing ducts at an angle. This allows them to better fit together with other pipes and to be used in construction. The process of learning how to use a beveling machine is easy. Learning seven steps will help you alter or offset cylinders. Whether you want to join pipes or offset them around interferences you will need a beveling machine, wrench, the pipe and a vice grip to make use of the following information.
- The first step is to secure the pipe to ensure it won’t move around. You will use the vice grip and find the best way to secure the pipe in a direction that has the part you will be cutting facing you. After you have secured the pipe in the vice grip make sure it is secure. I know it seems silly but it is the most important step to ensure your safety and prevent later error.
- You are going to have to choose an angle for the beveling blade. The most common use for beveling is welding and standard angle for welding is 37.5 degrees. You may have options from 15 degrees to 60 degrees. Figure out which angle you need to use then make sure to carefully select the angle you want on the machine. Remember, if you are welding take your time, the reason you are beveling is to create a more secure bond.
- You will need to find a small hole in the round part of the machine. Look above the adjustable pipe located at the front of the machine. Once you have located this small hole find the blade shank and insert it into the hole you found.
- You will have to locate an included Allen wrench. You will use this to secure the blade while assuring the blade it is parallel with the pipe’s length. It is important to do this step correctly to ensure your safety.
- Place the pipe that is adjustable inside of the pipe you desire to alter. Remember this pipe should be secured in a vice.
- Locate a knob at the back of the beveling machine. Turn the knob until the adjustable pipe fits snugly with the pipe you desire to alter.
- The last step is to use a wrench to turn the knob mentioned in the previous step about a quarter turn more. Do not overturn the knob. Flip the machine on and bevel away.
These steps are a general outline to help get you started using a pipe beveling machine. You should always read instruction manuals and exercise safety when working with equipment. If your equipment did not come with an instruction manual it is highly suggested that you research the manufacturer and contact them to see if they can provide you with the information you need. If you do not yet have a beveling machine and are looking in to purchasing one I suggest you purchase a new machine that comes with an instruction manual from a trusted manufacturer
If you are more of a visual learner there are ways to further your learning. First searching for resources about your specific beveling machine and the company who made it then looking at the website of the company who made it. You will most likely be able to find several video tutorials at that company’s site. These are best because they designed the product and know a lot about how to use it. Videos made by sources other than the company who made your beveling machine are not recommended but may be helpful.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Christopher writes on behalf of Ultra Torq, a reputed pipe beveling machine suppliers.