It’s safe to say if you visit a ritzy steakhouse, you’re in for a huge bill. That’s especially true for the best steakhouse restaurants in culinary hotspots like NYC, LA, and Montreal. But it actually is possible to reduce your spending without also reducing the culinary experience and the joy of eating out with friends and family.
Here are some money-saving tips you can keep in mind the next time you visit your local steakhouse:
- Check out their websites for discounts : Or you can ask your servers for any potential discounts. These steakhouses may have promos and discounts advertised only on their websites or on their social media channels. They may also offer discounts for senior citizens or students. Sometimes they may offer a special discount for members of special professions, such as military members, police officers, firemen, and teachers. These discounts can slash 10% to 15 % off the price.
- Go for lunch instead of dinner : Lunch servings are often just a little smaller than dinner servings, but they can be a lot more affordable. In some cases, you may even be able to order off the lunch menu. Steak is steak regardless of when you eat it, but ordering off the lunch menu can save a few bucks.
- Share servings and portions : Many entrees, appetizers, and main dishes come in huge servings that you may not be able to finish. If that’s the case, share the dish with the other people in your party. You may end up ordering fewer dishes since 2 people can share a single dish. So if there are 5 of you, you can order 3 dishes and that means you can save up by not ordering 2 more.
- Get the food to go : If you really just want the food and not the ambiance of the place, you don’t have to dine in. You can just ask the restaurant you can get your order to go. In many instances, you’ll get a lower price and you get more food as well. It’s a win-win. It’s not as advantageous if you have it delivered, however. The delivery service comes at a premium, and then you still have to add more for the tip. These expenses can just pad your bill.
- Just drink regular water : Steakhouses can increase the price of bottled water by as much as 50%. The markup is even worse for soda, as a drink that costs 25¢ a bottle in a supermarket may cost a few dollars in a steakhouse. This is another reason why it’s great to just get a take-out meal, as you can drink your own bottled water at home.
- Take advantage of special “happy hours” : Lots of steakhouses offer happy hours during which you can save not just on drinks but on your food too. These are often available during the normal pre-dinner hours, and it’s a great time for you to try out various dishes for your taste tests without paying full prices. Some places also offer combo dishes that can help you try out a lot at a discount rate.
- Skip the dessert : Most of the time, you go to a steakhouse because you have this craving for steak. So just eat the steak if that’s the case (and better yet, take it to go). Go elsewhere for the dessert, as these places aren’t really noted for high-quality desserts anyway.
Visiting the best steakhouse restaurants in your neighborhood is a great way to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family. But you don’t have to spend more than you have to, and with these tips you can end up paying much less than you normally do.