Removing Your Moldy Friend

Before we even begin diving into all the exciting intricacies of mold detection and removal we need to bring to light the mold prevention techniques.

Discovering mold in your home is not a be all, end all scenario.  It can easily be removed by professionals but wouldn’t you rather have to not call the professionals in the first place?

For many older homes it is difficult to prevent mold buildup simply because they were not designed with the thought in mind that mold would ever be a real issue.  Many old homes also reside in humid areas along the eastern United States so it is a perfect recipe for mold to grow.  If you do live in one of these older homes it should be an annual test to see if you have mold in your home especially if you have had it before.

Also, make sure that you do not leave foods out for extended periods of time that mold can begin to grow on.  All mold needs is a place to start and then it can send its spores airborne to cause havoc throughout the rest of your home.

Be sure to keep your counter top surfaces dry as well.  Mold grows in cool dark places and in the winter time our homes become one of those prime cool dark places for mold to begin its formation.  After saying that molds ideal breeding grounds are in cool, dark and moist places, you should probably check the cool, dark and moist places in your home to be sure mold is not already growing there either.  It is better to catch the problem early than to catch the problem late when it has already taken over your basement.

A Friendly Exam

A mold testing kit is a great way to begin to see if there is a mold problem in your home.  You can pick these up at The Home Depot or usually any local hardware store.  A mold testing kit just tells you if there are mold spores floating around in the air but it is still your job to find out where the mold is.  Hint; check the cool, dark and moist places in your home.

One of the most common places to fins mold in your home is in your basement especially if it floods from time to time.  The tricky part about this is that many basements have wall to wall carpeting on their floors.  You have to remember that after you soak up the water from your rug in your basement, there is still water sitting under your rug.  And most basements are cooler places.  Under your rug sees no light so it is dark and the water that is seeping through your floor is damp.

This is a perfect scenario for mold to grow under the rug of your basement.  As heartbreaking as it is to tear part of your rug up, or maybe it isn’t if you are looking for a reason to buy a new one, this could be the source of your mold problem.

The real reason we need to rid our homes of mold is not for aesthetic reasons though.  Yes it looks nasty but we need to consider our health.  Mold spores traveling through the air negatively affect our health and can cause people with weakened immune systems real health problems.

A Professional’s Perspective

Detecting mold in your home really is a tricky scenario and if you cannot take care of the problem yourself then you should not hesitate to call a professional.  Every day you let the mold sit in the corner of your basement you should know that it is spreading spores and setting up shop in another part of your home as you read this.

Featured images:

By Brian Connor

Brian Connor has written for many disaster cleanup blogs.  He believes black mold removal is one of the most important aspects of keeping a clean home.

Leave a Reply