During my childhood years and all through my adolescence, I woke up every Sunday morning to the inviting, warm and sweet smell of yogurt panettone. I would then rush to the kitchen where I would find my mother welcoming me with a smile and whispering “good morning sweetheart, did you sleep well?” Oh, how I loved the sound of her soft voice! Then, I would sit at the table where she would place my favorite cup with warm milk and a plate with a freshly baked slice of yogurt panettone.
This Italian treat finds its root in the old tradition, made with exquisite and simple ingredients that are very easy to find. The best part is that depending on what yogurt flavor you decide to use, the panettone will have a wide variety of different tastes and it will never become boring. So why wait? Let’s make a perfectly delicious yogurt panettone that will make your taste buds celebrate!
- 3 eggs
- 2 yogurt (flavor of your choice)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Tea spoon full of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- A tablespoon full of baking powder
- Preheat the oven at 350°F for 20/25 minutes
- Take a cake pan of medium size and spray it with cooking spray
- Take a bowl and put flour, sugar, yogurt and eggs.
- Add olive oil, vanilla extract and salt.
- Mix them all together until they are well combined
- Add sugar powder and mix again until well combined
- Pour it all in the cake pan
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Do not open the oven while baking as air will make the panettone deflate.
- After 45 minutes, take it out the oven and check it is fully cooked by placing a toothpick in it.
- If the toothpick comes out wet and moist, put the panettone back in the oven for another 10 minutes and check again.
- If the toothpick is dry, place the panettone on a pot holder and do not remove it from cake pan until semi-cold.
- When the panettone is fully cooled off, spray some powered sugar on top to make it look festive.
The yogurt panettone can be served for breakfast, dessert and trust me it also works perfectly as a midnight snack. You can also warm it up in the microwave at high temperature for a few seconds and the panettone will be as fresh and delicious as if just came out of the oven.
When serving a moist and delicious slice of panettone, don’t forget to also add homemade jam that will compliment its flavor. If you have leftovers, place the slices in air-tight food containers and you will be able to enjoy this tasteful dessert for a long time. You can find the best quality and deals for jam jars and food containers at http://www.ebottles.com/.