Cycling is fun. However, if you do not understand different guidelines as well as rules pertaining cycling, then it becomes disastrous. Many people have found themselves on the wrong side of the law as a result of poor cycling habits. There are essential safety tips that one should understand in order to effectively enjoy cycling. This will also keep you on the right side with the authorities hence a comfortable living.
Essential Cycling Tips
- Always make sure to look behind while overtaking, turning or stopping: This is very crucial. Some cyclist has preferred installing side mirrors on their bikes to help them access what is behind them. Ignoring what is coming behind you may cause you to be knocked down which can even result in death. However, before looking behind, ensure that the front is clear to avoid bumping into a ditch, a pedestrian or even a vehicle.
- Use your arms to signals a left or right turn: Your left hand should signal a left turn while your right hand should signal a turn to the right. This is a simple rule which many cyclists ignore despite how important it is.
- Obey road signs and other traffic lights: Many cyclists believe that different road signs are for use by drivers. They think that such rules are not important to them. For instance, a cyclist speeds up near the zebra crossing and ends up knocking someone. Ensure to adhere to all road signs and traffic lights to ensure you remain on the right side of the law.
- Avoid riding on pedestrians pavements: These pavements are specifically designed for pedestrians. You should not cycle on them unless directed so by the authorities. In many roads, there are cycling trails. Make sure to use these trails apart from pedestrian’s pavements.
- Watch while cycling near packed cars: Some drivers are reckless and keep opening their doors without checking what’s coming. You are likely to injure yourself in such an instance. Therefore, be cautious while riding past parked cars.
- Avoid the use of headphones or earphones while cycling: This is a major mistake done by many teenage cyclists. You will not hear a horn from an oncoming car and it is more likely you will get knocked down. Be watchful and sensitive while cycling.
- Avoid the use of mobile phone while cycling: Definitely, you cannot serve two masters. Therefore, you either use your phone or cycle. Otherwise, you will lose one.
Adherence to these tips will definitely make your riding experience spectacular.
Cycling is considered one of the most favorite sport of both kids and adults. Obviously, we all had some good or bad memories with cycles but now the trend is changing because cycling is considered unsafe by thousands who have been used to of cycling without helmets. This happened because most of the people do not like helmets and they think it’s an old fashion. But now the problem has been solved. Buy your safety bike helmet today and let’s not make cycling seem unsafe and intimidating, let alone abuse each other because we disagree.