ENT is medical specialists who specialize in the treatment of the neck, throat and the head. They go on to treat patients who have problems in varied areas of the body. Ear infections or nasal blockages are the conditions which an ENTspecialist is going to treat on a regular basis. They also go on to treat patients who face difficulty in swallowing or speech. They are trained in the use of medicines and in some cases with surgical procedures as well
The job profile of an ENT surgeon
As an ENT specialist their primary responsibility is to diagnose a patient and lookout for any signs or injury or infection. Since it is a medical profession you may needed to work for extended hours of the day in order to meet the needs of the patients. There is an urgent need to adapt and to work in stressful situations as well. You would need to provide comprehensive health care to the patients and that too being part of a team environment.
Some of the relevant skills needed to make it big in the profession are as follows
- A know how of the head and heck anatomy with good personal and communication skills
- They should not be involved in any sort of communication disorders and they need to be good communicators and sensitive to the needs of the patients.
- Management skills at a top notch level are important. The workload is huge and most often than not they would need to cope up with a demanding schedule. You should be in a position to deal with high pressure situations and remain objective based at the same time
- Problem solving skills of the highest order is rated to be important. Clinical judgements need to be made and treatment needs to be provided at a quick level. You would need to think beyond the standard protocols as far as proper treatment evolves
- You should be able to work together in groups. The basic nature of this job does call for a sound team work as well.
You become masters in this domain you would need to be part of 5 years in medical training. This is split into 4 and one single year of study. You would need to have a bachelor in science degree, though in some college’s bachelor or art degree is also accepted.
A majority of the ENT specialists do work in private offices or clinics, and administrative personnel or nurses are there to assist them. The environment is comfortable in a lot of ways as well. The self-employed ones have a lot of comfort and are ok in arranging their own schedule as well. If you are employed by an organization you are likely to have less degree of control as far as your schedule is concerned.
The best ENT doctors in India are tied up with the top tier hospitals of the country. It is pretty easy to secure their appointment as well.