The importance of Java as a programming language cannot be denied as this is considered among one of the most popular programming languages. It is quite easy, flexible and comprehensive and greatly facilitates the programmers in performing the required programming tasks. Students normally seek the shortest possible ways to master this language. This article will throw light on some of the important considerations in the learning process which will help you quickly get the grip on this programming language. A systematic approach towards the learning of this language can not only help you learn quickly but it will also help you gain an indepth insight into this programming language structure.
• One thing that needs to be considered most of all is that Java is a pure object oriented language so if you are weak in your object oriented programming concepts then you cannot master this language. So, your first priority must be to gain a theoretical grip on object oriented programming concepts. The stronger are your object oriented programming concepts, the more comprehensive will be your Java learning process.
• The other most important thing is your programming concepts. You may either be totally new to the programming paradigm or else you may have extensive experience of programming in other languages. In either case you must have a strong grip on the theoretical aspects of basic programming fundamentals like data types, variables, operators, statements, comments, conditions, loops, functions, input and output etc.
• After gaining a strong theoretical grip on the basic programming fundamentals, you must implement these concepts practically with simplest possible examples for example, you mus write short programs in Java to experiment with variables, data types, conditions and loops etc.
• You must write your initial programs using Notepad. This will greatly help you clarify your concepts about the language as you will not be getting help from the IDE while writing the programs. This will force you to open the books and review the syntax of your programs whenever you are stuck somewhere. This will, of course, take more time but its impact will be tremendous.
• After you have successfully developed your initial programs in Notepad, you can move to the program development using the IDE. You can select any one of the available IDEs which are normally used for Java application development but use of Eclipse IDE is highly recommended which will make your development experiences a lot easier.
• So, after you have successfully experimented with all the basic fundamentals of programming languages by writing simple Java programs, you can develop one medium level of project which covers most of the things you have already experimented. Verify and test the results at the end to confirm that you have gone all well as per expectations.
• At this stage, you are able to develop a larger project which can be a real life project. You may still face a large number of challenges but consistent effort can get you out of all the hurdles.
This training lesson elaborates a systematic approach of learning the Java programming quickly which will surely show you great results if you follow the steps mentioned here in the same order.
David Hulmes is a independent consultant as well as a author of articles covering topics related to programming training, tips and tricks. He has extensive knowledge of object oriented languages, VB.NET, C#.NET, Java and C++. This article is courtesy of programming2learn.